I learned how to sew, in a very basic sense, when I was younger. I took Home Ec. class and I think made a skirt. I probably sewed a thing or two in 4-H club. My Mom really knew how to sew and so I watched her a bit, but really I don’t know how to sew. I would like to know how, which is why I wanted a new sewing machine (my Mom’s very old one that I inherited quit working this year). I was very excited when Bryan got me one for Christmas.
A few days after Christmas I had the opportunity to volunteer to sew some book bags for a service project. I was very excited to volunteer for this and get my new machine up and running. Someone dropped off 3 bags for me to sew with the instructions to sew a “french seam” along the edges and that it should take me about 30-40 minutes to do each bag. I suddenly wasn’t so confident in my sewing abilities, I had never heard the term “french seam”. Thank goodness for the internet, I googled it and soon was watching a YouTube video on how to sew one. I would watch the step on the video, press pause and do it myself. Not too hard at all.
The first bag I completed in 2 1/2 hours, yes you read that right, 2 1/2 hours! Now I knew what I was doing so the next should go much quicker, oh it did, it only took 2 hours! I could barely stand the thought of starting the third yesterday, but I did. That last one only took 1 hour 15 minutes!!, but if you add in the hour of sewing both sides on the wrong side and then having to un pick them, it equals more like 2 hours and 15 minutes. So a project that could have taken me under 2 hours ended up taking 7-8 hours. I am no longer confident in my abilities to sew anything I want to, but I won’t give up.
3 beautiful bags
It only added to my discouragement when my BFF’s 13 year old daughter texted me a picture of a skirt she had just made out of an old pair of levis! Maybe I can learn from her.

5 comments:
Love your attitude Mel! Especially that you would even try it!
Oops-sorry for the bad timing on Megan's part. I am very impressed with your sewing skills! Great job.
Let's have a sewing day! Surely we can find a project to do!
I swear I was the worst/ slowest seamstress in my sewing classes in high school. It after years of practice I was one of the best in college.
Yay! So glad I found your blog, thanks to Peggy sharing your KSL article. I laughed at this post, cause I signed up for the bags too...in hopes to LEARN how to sew! Ha, ya, what a joke. They were not for beginners! But happy to say I completed a whopping two bags and then went home and made a book bag for Abby. Thank you, R.S for the sewing lesson!
I'll look foward to peakin in now and then into the mind of Melanie!...you are amazing.
Post a Comment