I posted my pictures from Bountiful High’s prom on facebook the other day. I learned that I had several questions as to why I was there. I should have blogged about this earlier, but I just hadn’t done it so now I am.
I have lots of young friends from my ward, serving in the Young Womens for the majority of the past 9 years is the reason why. Well maybe the reason why is because they just like me…….oh and they LOVE Jonah baby. One day we were talking about stake dances and I said how much fun they were to chaperone and low and behold my friend Truman says, “I am in charge of the dances at the high school”, (he is a very cool student body officer). So you can be sure that I told him I wanted to chaperone EVERY dance.
It worked out that I got to chaperone a few dances this year. I loved it, I loved all of them (although the stomp was my favorite) so you better believe I was so excited to chaperone prom. I didn’t go to prom when I was in high school (and I was fine with it and I still am so don’t think I am trying to re-live my high school years) so it was fun to be a small part of the hype. For the past few years I have run around to my young womens houses to see them and how cute they looked before they left for prom. It was so nice this year, I didn’t have to run around trying to catch them all. I get all giddy when I see boys in tuxedos picking up their dates who are in beautiful dresses. If I see a limousine that night I get even more giddy.
Anyways back to last Saturday night. The dance was held at the Davis Conference Center in Layton. Bryan politely bows out of these events, he went to the stomp with me and said that was enough for him. So I just go alone and meet up with my friend Melinda. I spent the first 45 minutes just staring at the couples coming in. I loved looking at the dresses, whose was more original, who had the same ones, whose Mom shouldn’t have let them out of the house looking like that, you get the idea. I also loved watching the dynamics between the dates, some boys are such the gentlemen while others are 3 steps ahead of their date. The girls would scream and run to their friends when they would see each other and give big hugs. Except for the screaming part, I did the same thing when I saw my friends.
The night was great. The music was loud, I love how the kids these days (at least at BHS) love to dance. They don’t care what they look like or how sweaty they are at the end of the night. I love to dance, I love music and I love the youth so I fit right in. I have decided I should have been a high school teacher, I would have loved it, well most days maybe some days and some kids I would not like at all!
I ran around taking pictures with my friends, not all of them, some I don’t have that good of a relationship with to interupt them with their dates. The night was fun, I was so glad to be there. The last dance of the year…..hmmmm who can I con into letting me do it again next year????

5 comments:
Glad you explained it. Sounds like you had lots of fun. It is good that there are people like you who relate well to the youth so that you can do this for those who wouldn't enjoy being a chaperone!!!
You're such a party girl Mel. How cute is Stephen's tux jacket? I'll go with you next year, it will Spence's sr. year and we'll get hooked up as chaperones :)
Except for the screaming part???? Yeah, whatever!
Love you
Love to dance
Love to laugh
love those pics! You ARE the Dancin Queen.
Post a Comment