So about a week and a half ago a member of the bishopric came to ask me to speak in sacrament meeting and also to give me a new calling. For about 10 seconds I was so thrilled to know that I was being released from my cub scouts calling and then he said he wasn't releasing me. So I knew it was going to be something that didn't require a lot of time. Well when he said we would like you to be the Relief Society chorister, I about burst out laughing. I am not really very musical and have never led music before. I called Tiffany once he had left and she burst out laughing. She has been known to say she would rather conduct a meeting naked than lead the music at anything. At Brandon's baptism my sister in law was supposed to lead the music and was late so I turned around to ask Tiffany to do it and she said No way.
Anyways back to my story, today I spoke in sacrament meeting, no big deal. Then it came time for Relief Society and my leading debut. I was feeling confident with myself and that I would know what to do. Boy was I wrong! I was a joke, I couldn't keep up with the piano and I kept laughing. At one point I put the book in front of my face and then realized I had to keep leading. Thankfully it was a short song and I sat down in shame. Some people have said that they hate to lead because everyone just stares at you, well I really don't care if everyone just stares at me, but I have got to learn what I am doing. My nice very musical friend gave me a piece of advice so hopefully I can figure this thing out. The last song wasn't bad although I wanted to just bust up laughing. I came home and declared, I would rather speak in church every Sunday rather than lead the music. I hope next week goes better!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
YOU DID FINE...IT will only get better.
I was proud of you for saying yes to something you don't know how to do. It shows that have moxie....
remember, it's okay if you only lead the down beat of each measure...and pretty much no one is looking at you, except me.
Embrace scouting Mel. Embrace it! :)
When I was 14 someone told me that you just write your name in cursive and people will think you are leading (it worked for a few years). I dislike leading music as well. I do fine until it is time to stop. I am always off!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. I am STILL laughing and it is a good thing I did not come and visit your debut leading performance. It would have been a "Consider the Lilies" all over again... Who even pays attention to choristers except the very few in each ward that really care!?
I am totally NOT a music person, like our friends Melinda, Kimi and Erin, but I ALWAYS look at the chorister. You did a great job! Your talk was wonderful too. I think you are great for accepting this challenge. Oh, and if you are ever out of town, and need someone to fill in, call Tiffany or Melinda.
Oh Mel, I read the title and thought... "Geeesh. Its about time they put her back in YW where she belongs." CHORISTER! Ha. I would love to see that, I bet you are great
Post a Comment